The Northwest Screenwriters Guild Green Room 2024
THE NORTHWEST SCREENWRITERS GUILD (NwSG) GREEN ROOM is a nine-month writing program intended to elevate the stature and prominence of Pacific Northwest-based screenwriters. We achieve this by advancing your screenwriting skill set so that you are ready to pitch professional-quality scripts to the entertainment industry, along with showing how to provide professional-level feedback to other writers to strengthen our creative community. Former members have been recruited into professional writing rooms, pitched to major studios, and hired as writers for major film productions.
Started in 2018, this program follows standard industry practices in developing an idea through a draft script, including receiving ideas and feedback from other talented and experienced writers. Over twice-monthly sessions from February through October, you will:
- Pitch ideas to choose a project to pursue
- Develop a beat sheet
- Create a script outline
- Live pitch your project
- Draft your script
- … all while developing high-level constructive feedback techniques to elevate your peers
The goal of the Green Room is for each fellow to develop–from scratch–a completed draft of a feature film or pilot episode designed to be shot in Washington State.
Fellows will be expected to submit solo original work (no shared bylines), pitch projects, read and provide quality feedback for their peers’ work on a steady schedule–similar to professional screenwriting expectations. We will meet twice a month, and you will need to complete these assignments by the stated deadlines. Please apply only if you can commit to these expectations.
Meetings will be a hybrid of both in-person and online sessions. These will be working meetings. Fellows are expected to participate by providing both work and feedback.
The Green Room represents an unparalleled opportunity to elevate your craft, develop your professional and writing networks, and take the next step in your film career.
Key Program Info:
- Must be a Washington state resident that can commit to in-person sessions once a month
- Must be an active NwSG member
- Applications: Application period opens November 6, 2023
- Deadline is Thursday, December 21st at 11:59 PM PST
- Acceptance Notifications: Friday, January 12, 2024
- Number of spots available: 12 Fellows
- Location: In Person (Phinney Ridge) and Online (Zoom)
- Schedule: 1st and third Wednesday of each month, starting Wednesday, February 7, 2024, 7:00pm.
- Dues are $70 (to cover location rental and administrative fees)
Being selected as a Green Room fellow opens up wonderful opportunities:
- Selected scripts will be featured in table reads at NWSG events
- Qualifying fellows are invited to attend an exclusive writers retreat in Fall 2024
- Fellows become part of the Green Room Alumni group, and are invited to events throughout the year